20240312 - Man ‘sucked into’ laundering vast sums of money for crime boss after meeting in pub14/3/2024 Subscribe to our news service at HERE A 48-year-old Sligoman laundered vast sums of money through two bank accounts for crime boss known as ‘Dublin Jimmy’ after meeting him in town centre pub.
Edward Killian stated he almost fell to the ground on seeing news reports of the death of Cyril McGuinness nicknamed ‘Dublin Jimmy’ as he only realised then on viewing his photographs who he had been dealing with. Sligo Circuit Court heard that Killian naively became the sole director of a company through which he laundered money for McGuinness. Killian, who is single, thought he was helping the criminal mastermind avoid VAT and went along with the laundering after being promised he would be looked after with money at the end but he never received anything. ‘Dublin Jimmy’ came to national prominence during the investigation into the abduction and torture of Quinn Industrial Holdings director Kevin Lunney https://www.sundayworld.com/crime/courts/man-sucked-into-laundering-vast-sums-of-money-for-crime-boss-after-meeting-in-pub/a1444679199.html
0 Comments
Subscribe to our news service at HERE The two men facing charges of human trafficking and money-laundering have been remanded in custody with consent to bail following a court appearance in North Cork.
It is alleged the accused were part of a criminal gang that brought people from Slovakia to Ireland and exploited their labour. Sergeant Majella O’Sullivan told the court the State was awaiting instructions from the DPP and asked for both men to be remanded in custody. Slovakians Marian Vavrek, 46, of Kontiki, Rooskey, Co Roscommon, and Ladislav Bubencik, 32, of Railway Road, Charleville, Co Cork, appeared before Judge Colm Roberts. Mr Bubencik faces three counts of human trafficking and 20 counts of money laundering. Mr Vavrek faces three counts of human trafficking and one count of money laundering. The court heard Mr Vavrek had not taken up bail that was granted by Judge John King last week and Judge Roberts expressed concern he may not fully understand the conditions. Judge Roberts said he was extending legal aid to allow for the terms of bail to be translated into Slovakian and fully explained to him. The court heard Mr Bubencik's brother, who was acting as surety, had brought €20,000 to court as required under his bail conditions. Judge Roberts accepted the surety. Both men were remanded in custody with consent to bail with the next hearing date fixed for Mallow District Court on March 26. https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41351377.html Subscribe to our news service at HERE A 21-year-old Tralee man has pleaded guilty to four charges including money laundering relating to sums totalling over €50,000.
Tralee Circuit Criminal Court was told that the case of Fortunatus Ankomah of Rath Óraigh, Tralee, is the latest to arise from a major operation by gardaí. Fortunatus Ankomah pleaded guilty to three counts of converting, transferring, handling, acquiring, possessing, or using property which he knew, believed to be, or was reckless as to whether or not it was the proceeds of criminal conduct. This is an offence under the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Act 2010. The first count related to a sum of €10,000, which was credited to an AIB account on 19th January 2021. The second count related to a sum of almost €22,000, which was credited to a separate AIB account on a date between 21st January and 26th January 2021. The third count related to a sum of almost €20,000, again credited to a third separate AIB account between March and June of 2021. Mr Ankomah also admitted to one charge relating to organised crime, whereby he enhanced the ability of a criminal organisation to commit money laundering, by participating in or contributing to an activity of that organisation. Subscribe to our news service at HERE Mark Scott was convicted in November 2019 of laundering a total of almost $400m in his role within One Coin pyramid scheme run by notorious 'Cryto Queen' Ruja Ignatova.
Subscribe to our news service at HERE Ayo Egbon, 37, is accused of keeping more than €255,000 of crime proceeds in a Dublin bank account.
A judge has barred a man accused of keeping more than €255,000 of crime proceeds in a Dublin bank from using any “dating and matchmaking websites”. Ayo Egbon, 37, of Broomhill House, Swords Road, Dublin, was charged under money-laundering legislation. He is accused of acquiring, possessing, using, or converting €255,472, allegedly in a Permanent TSB account in his name, knowing or reckless to it being proceeds of crime. The offences allegedly took place from February 2017 until February 2020. The case follows a Garda National Economic Crime Bureau (GNECB) investigation. Subscribe to our news service at HERE The now 26-year-old woman was before Letterkenny Circuit Court on money laundering charges related to sums totalling €3,000 which she allowed to pass through her Revolut account.
A former ATU Donegal student who admitted being reckless in allowing her Revolut account to be used for money laundering has received a deferred sentence. Detective Garda Gerard McCready gave an outline of the case against Ms Balogun, who now lives and works in London. He told how a sum of €3,000 came into Ms Balogun's Revolut account from the bank account of another person on various dates in June, 2020. The money came in ten different instalments of €300. The funds later left Ms Balogun's account and the bank account it was transferred to was closed in August 2020. Subscribe to our news service at HERE Here is a money laundering typology for those looking for a type of #financialcrime #tradefinance case.
➡️ 535kgs of drugs were imported from Mexico into Cork Port at Ringaskiddy [Ireland] in October 2023, concealed in a purpose-built electromagnetic metal separator, according to court reports of the hearing. Customs officials discovered the machine with the drugs inside it so well concealed it was almost impossible to detect, the court was told. ➡️ it is the biggest seizure of crystal meth in Ireland. He is chief executive of Ballyseedy Home and Garden Centre issued a heartfelt statement on its social media pages ➡️ the seizure of €32.8m worth of crystal meth resulted in the arrests and charges last Friday of:
Subscribe to our news service at HERE Two businessmen have been sentenced in connection with a money laundering scheme in which €1.4 million was transferred into their shared bank account from unwitting German investors.
Wesley Williams (46), of Foxlodge Manor, Ratoath, Co Meath, was sentenced to two and a half years in prison after he pleaded guilty to one count of making a gain for himself in the scheme which took place over a decade ago. His co-accused, Silvio Rabbitte (55), was given a fully-suspended sentence of two years at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court after his counsel said he had been “duped” and ought to have known that the scheme was “too good to be true”. Rabbitte, of Woodberry Gardens, Castleknock, Dublin, pleaded guilty to one count of impeding the apprehension of Wesley Williams on dates between September 2012 and July 2014. He has no previous convictions. At a hearing on Wednesday, the court heard that Rabbitte received €350,000 after €1.4 million from German investors was transferred into an account⁰ he shared with Williams, as co-directors of a company called One-Stop Shop Catering Ltd. Detective Garda Deirdre Heneghan, of the Garda National Economic Crime Bureau, told Fiona Crawford BL, prosecuting, that a garda operation was set up in October 2012, investigating the transfer of €4 million from injured parties in Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands into Irish bank accounts. The court heard that on October 30th, 2012, four transactions totalling €420,000 came from two German accounts into the bank account of which Rabbitte and Williams were both signatories. The following month, on November 9th, a further €1 million came into the account from Germany. Det Gda Heneghan said the money was transferred by German injured parties who believed they were making an investment and that they would have access to the bank account into which they had transferred the money. None of the money was recovered, the court heard. RecordingsRabbitte was arrested and a laptop containing some phone call recordings was seized. He told gardaí that Williams owed him money and said he only had knowledge of the €420,000 coming into the account, and not the €1 million. The court heard that the guilty plea to impeding the apprehension of Williams was entered on the basis that Rabbitte signed a contract in the days before the money entered the account, which made it harder for Williams to be prosecuted and gave a “veneer of respectability” to the transaction. Mark Lynam SC, defending, said Rabbitte's culpability was on the basis of recklessness. He said Rabbitte was a successful businessman who became involved in land dealings with Williams during the Celtic Tiger era. After some initial success, these business deals started to falter, and Williams owed Rabbitte a large sum of money, defence counsel said. Williams and another associate, Simon Gold, then came to Rabbitte with a proposal that they get involved in 'trades', whereby they would receive a commission for allowing so-called investment monies to come through their account. Rabbitte got financial advice in relation to the matter and was told that if he was satisfied as to the legitimacy of the funds, then it could be done. Defence counsel said Rabbitte was told he did not need to know about the specifics of the transfer, but “from his knowledge of Mr Williams, he ought to have had a gimlet eye over the details of this”. Mr Lynam said phone recordings taken from Rabbitte's computer were from a phone he had lent to Williams, and included phone calls between Williams and Gold in which they alluded to the fact that Rabbitte was not privy to all the details of the transaction. “He was being duped about things,” Mr Lynam said, adding that Rabbitte “ought to have known this was too good to be true”. He said Rabbitte was anxious to have the money repaid and to be done with Williams. Gold (59), of Windy Ridge House, Cartontroy, Athlone, Co Westmeath was jailed for seven and a half years in 2019 after he was found guilty by a jury of money laundering, theft, deception and control of false instruments on dates between January 1st, 2010, and October 22nd, 2012. The court heard last year that he had already been released from prison. The court heard this money went back into Rabbitte's business, but that the Criminal Assets Bureau had also seized €190,000. Testimonials Mr Lynam handed in a large number of testimonials from Rabbitte's colleagues, employees, family and friends, which described how he has worked hard at his business, which has 26 employees, and that his life revolves around his family. In a letter handed into court, his wife described how she was in hospital frequently during the period in question and Rabbitte was under pressure minding his three children and managing the business. He was described as “generous to a fault”, which defence counsel said explained how Williams “insinuated himself” into Rabbitte's affairs. The court heard that Rabbitte had given the sum of €235,000 to his solicitors to be forwarded to the injured parties as a demonstration of his remorse. Paul Comiskey O'Keeffe BL, defending Williams, said his client did not have the same moral culpability as Gold, adding: “There were others at the coalface with a higher level of culpability.” Mr Comiskey O'Keeffe said Williams was married with four children and had a long history of employment in his family’s business. Williams pleaded early, has no previous convictions, and was unlikely to come to adverse attention in the future, the court heard. A letter was handed in from Williams’ father, from a family friend and from other friends and family members, praising his character and pointing out how involved he was in the care of his mother. The court heard that Williams has been attending one-to-one therapy for over two years addressing his issues of drug dependence. Judge Martin Nolan responded by saying that Williams was “at the higher end of misbehaviour” in the criminal enterprise of inducing others to part with their monies. “Williams provided the apparatus of bank accounts to get away with the money,” Judge Nolan said. He accepted that Williams had substantial mitigation, including his family responsibilities and his good record, entitling him to a 50 per cent reduction on a headline sentence of five years. Judge Nolan said he was “suspicious” of Rabbitte, whom he described as an experienced businessman who “knows the ways of the world”, but added that he could not be satisfied beyond reasonable doubt of his suspicions. He ordered Rabbitte to forward the sum of €235,000 to the victims in the case. The case was listed for mention in March to deal with an allegation of theft of a €15,000 watch faced by Williams. https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/two-businessmen-sentenced-in-connection-with-e1-4m-money-laundering-scheme-1585875.html Subscribe to our news service at HERE Teenagers in secondary school, and some in third level, were paid thousands of euro to allow their bank accounts be used by a fraud gang recruiting in Co Kerry, only to be caught and convicted. While some of the younger offenders were dealt with under the Garda’s junior liaison scheme, others were convicted under anti-terrorism and money-laundering legislation.
The young people were working as so-called mules to facilitate money-laundering by a fraud gang, with controlling members based in Ireland and abroad. Each student allowed between €2,000 and €65,000 to pass through their accounts, for payments of between 10 and 15 per cent of the core sums. News of the scale of the operation in Kerry first emerged in The Irish Times two years ago when it was revealed about 50 young people had been recruited by one of their peers in the community. They surrendered their bank account details, and logins, so money from online frauds could be moved and laundered through the accounts. The Kerryman newspaper on Tuesday reported the total amount that passed through the accounts of the young suspects in Co Kerry reached €1.3 million. While that sum is not large on a national scale, it is a new departure for an organised crime network in the county. The bank accounts used were with mainstream banks and other institutions allowing for accounts to be opened online, including Revolut, N26 and TransferWise. Some of the mules, aged 16-20 years, allowed more than one of their accounts to be used. Det Sgt Ernie Henderson, from the Divisional Crime Team in Kerry, said the money that passed through the accounts had been stolen in scams involving bogus texts and emails – known as vishing and smishing – to unsuspecting people and companies. This tricked them into sending money to the accounts controlled by the gang. In other cases, the scammers extracted victims’ bank account details to steal their money, by transferring it into the young people’s accounts they controlled. Det Sgt Henderson confirmed some of the young people were prosecuted under the Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Act 2010, with more than 30 Kerry-based mules already dealt with. He added this would disbar them from many opportunities, including securing visas for travel and work abroad and many other job opportunities. Det Sgt Henderson said some of the senior personnel, known as “herders”, in the gang were using Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok and other platforms “recruiting people to make easy money” by allowing their accounts to be used. “In this particular operation, it was a person that was known to [the young people in Kerry] and living in the community here,” he said of the man recruiting the students in the Tralee area. “That matter is still currently under investigation for him.” https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2024/01/31/kerry-based-money-mules-laundered-13m-for-fraud-gang/ Subscribe to our news service at HERE [At councilor level, this person is not likely to be a PEP in Ireland]
A former Fine Gael councillor and hotelier has been charged with money laundering of more than €2.6m. Frank Kilbride (69) appeared before Longford District Court last Tuesday following a long-running investigation by gardaí based in Cavan. Mr Kilbride was released on bail after being charged with three separate money-laundering offences and is due to appear before the same court on December 5. The defendant, of Aughakilmore, Ballinalee, Co Longford, is a well-known figure in the world of country music and has also appeared on national TV. He is a former presenter on a local radio station. |
AuthorOn this page you will find a selection of links to articles useful for AFC training. Archives
January 2025
Categories
All
|